Career and Academic Success Counselor
Job no: 494664
Work type: Full-time Staff
Categories: Student Affairs
Career and Academic Success Counselor
GRIFF Center for Academic Engagement
All Griff Center staff members are responsible for the retention, comprehensive advisement and career services for our students. The Counselor will work with professors, dean/associate deans and staff to support an environment that retains students. The position will provide students and alumni with comprehensive programs, services, and resources to support academic and career success and a transformative learning experience. The counselor will also assist with recruitment of students. This is a full-time position that reports to the Assistant Vice President/Director of the Griff Center for Academic Engagement.
Career and Academic Assistance:
- Provide coaching and debrief for students on Strong Interest Inventory and Strengthsfinder, as well as other career assessments;
- Provide one-on-one review of resumes, cover letters and LinkedIn profiles; perform practice interviews
- Plan and deliver academic success and career related workshops for students;
- Serve as an academic mentor; assist with meeting individually with students who may need to resolve an academic and career issue(s);
- Perform other duties as required.
- Create and coordinate dates, interview schedules and room reservation of on campus employer recruitment opportunities and promote these recruitment opportunities to students;
- Schedule employer information sessions; reserve room, order refreshments, promotion to the campus community;
- Produce recruiting and job search-related publications, including emails, articles, web content, and handouts;
- Manage the online software system (Handshake) for internship and employer job postings, including data entry, outcome follow up and reporting;
- Promote employer job postings, employers on campus, Griff Center information and career content through Handshake, Social Media, Griff TV, targeted emails and college publications;
- Monitor, respond, and promote constituent engagement on social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn; Instagram
- Maintain the Griff Center website, provide accurate and engaging content for students, parents, alumni and employers;
- Assist with the collection and dissemination of post-graduate student career outcomes data;
- Master’s degree in College Student Personnel, Higher Education or related field;
- Minimum of 1 to 3 years of work experience in student affairs, career services, academic advisement, or related office.
- Expertise and appreciation for the use of technology to provide efficient and high quality services to students; working knowledge of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and social media;
- Knowledge of undergraduate academic policies and requirements;
- Extensive experience maintaining confidentiality;
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to perform a variety of tasks while maintaining a professional demeanor;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Excellent organizational, time management and leadership skills; the ability to work well on a team and individually;
- Ability to address the advising needs of undergraduate students who are struggling academically;
The Office of Human Resources at Canisius College utilizes an online recruitment management system.
Individuals who need reasonable accommodations under the ADA in order to participate in the search process should contact the Office of Human Resources at (716) 888-2240.
To apply, go to https://www.canisius.edu/about-canisius/employment-canisius. Review of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Please include your cover letter and resume with your application.
Canisius College, a Catholic and Jesuit University, has as its foundation the fundamental values of academic excellence, leadership, faith and social justice. Canisius is committed to educating and preparing men and women to become leaders in their professions and their communities, and in service to humanity. The college is an equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting, supporting, and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students.
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a full-time, 12-month position. Benefits are available the first of the month after the full-time employee’s date of hire and include – health, dental and vision insurance, life and long term disability insurance, and retirement plan enrollment is available to full-time employees with contribution from College after one year. Tuition benefits are also available for full-time employees and their qualified dependents.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend