JOB IDENTIFICATION: Utility Person
JOB SUMMARY: The Utility person inspects, repairs and maintains facilities following recognized procedures and techniques of the building maintenance trade.
- Performs repairs and/or replacement of plumbing fixtures, valves and other devices.
- Performs repairs and/or replacement of electrical fixtures, lamps, devices and appliances.
- Performs carpentry work as required to repair windows, walls, doors, hardware, screens, furniture, etc.
- Performs repairs and/or replacement of flooring and ceiling tiles.
- Performs repairs and/or replacement of concrete work.
- Performs various painting, spackling and staining tasks.
- Performs repairs and/or replacement of damaged or defective restroom accessories.
- Inspects roofs on a routine basis, assures that deficiencies are corrected and reports the same.
- Inspects all facilities on a routine basis, assures that deficiencies are corrected and reports the same.
- Performs repairs, adjustments and/or replacement of doors and associated hardware.
- Assists as required and/or directed with snow plowing, snow and ice removal.
- Assists and cooperates with other Facilities staff in the performance of day to day duties and responsibilities.
- Complete and closeout work orders daily, as assigned by the supervisor.
- Considered essential personnel – which means that this position may be needed at times when the College is closed or in emergency situations, as determined by the supervisor.
- Other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISION: The Utility Person position is under the supervision of Associate Director of Facilities Management or other Facilities Managers in the absence of the Associate Director of Facilities Management.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITY:
- Must possess knowledge of general construction principles and the technical skills required to perform basic building repairs and installation in the areas of masonry, concrete, roofing, carpentry, painting/finishing, locksmith, plumbing, and electrical.
- Must be willing to enhance or learn new skills.
- Must possess knowledge in the proper use and maintenance of hand and power tools related to job functions.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally, in writing and via email.
- Ability to work effectively as an individual or within a team as well as with diverse groups
- Ability to work overtime to respond to emergencies.
- Ability to work effectively in a service oriented environment – subject to frequently changing priorities.
- Problem solving skills and sound judgment in a technical environment.
- Must possess basic computer skills necessary to operate work order software, send/receive email, and use Banner.
- Adhere to safety procedures in the performance of job and be conscious of security issues involved in daily routine.
- Ability to perform all above essential job functions for a minimum of an eight-hour shift, with one-half hour unpaid meal break.
- Ability to learn and perform all essential job functions accurately, with minimal direct supervision.
- Must have and maintain a valid New York State driver’s license with a positive driving record per the college’s insurance provider.
RELATION TO OTHER JOBS: Complete repair work orders as requested. Perform preventative maintenance as assigned. Assist other skilled trades’ personnel as instructed. Inspect facilities for issues of repair and document findings.
WORKING CONDITIONS: May work in hot, cold, dusty, confined and noisy areas. Works both inside and outside completing interior and exterior projects. Works both above and below ground including tunnels.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The functions of the position usually performed standing. Tasks involving carpentry, plumbing and electrical work involve extensive wrist and hand movement
Must be able to climb, bend stoop, crawl and kneel.
Must be able to work with ladders, scaffolding and mechanical lifts at various heights.
Must be able to lift and transport materials and equipment used in the trade.
SOME OVERTIME MAY BE REQUIRED, VACATION APPROVAL MAY BE LIMITED DURING PEAK ACTIVITY PERIODS.
The Office of Human Resources at Canisius College utilizes an online recruitment management system.
Individuals who need reasonable accommodations under the ADA in order to participate in the search process should contact the office of human resources at (716) 888-2240.
To apply, go to https://www.canisius.edu/about-canisius/employment-canisius. Review of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Please include your cover letter and resume with your application.
Canisius College, a Catholic and Jesuit University, has as its foundation the fundamental values of academic excellence, leadership, faith and social justice. Canisius is committed to educating and preparing men and women to become leaders in their professions and their communities, and in service to humanity. The college is an equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting, supporting, and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students.
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a full-time, 12-month hourly position. Benefits are available and include – health, dental insurance and retirement plan enrollment is available to full-time employees with contribution from College. Paid holidays, vacation, personal leave and sick leave. Tuition benefits are also available for full-time employees and their qualified dependents.