Director of Alumni Engagement
Job no: 494578
Work type: Full-time Staff
Categories: Advancement/Alumni Relations
Director of Alumni Engagement
Reporting to the Vice President of Institutional Advancement, the Director of Alumni Engagement will help advance the mission of Canisius College by providing leadership and strategic direction for a comprehensive, vibrant and sustainable alumni engagement program. The DAE is charged with working with the Vice President of Institutional of Advancement to actively involve alumni in the life of the college and develop mutually-beneficial relationships between Canisius and its graduates. In order to achieve this, the DAE needs to be a highly successful collaborator, facilitator, communicator and implementer – working with select faculty and administrators to expand the breadth and depth of the interaction and involvement of alumni with special emphasis on career development, student recruitment, fundraising and mission-driven programs; leading the Alumni Engagement staff in the development and execution of alumni programs and college and stewardship events, and effective volunteer management; creating alumni communications across multiple channels; and developing long-lasting relationships with members of the Canisius and Western New York communities on behalf of the college.
- Work with the Vice President of Institutional of Advancement to develop a dynamic strategic plan that focuses alumni engagement at Canisius around career development, student recruitment, philanthropic and mission-driven programming.
- Work with the Vice President of Institutional Advancement and other key campus partners to establish cross-functional teams that ensure inter-department collaboration and the maximization of resources and expertise in the engagement of alumni.
- Establish and develop relationship opportunities with alumni and friends that help achieve the strategic objectives of Institutional Advancement and the Canisius College.
- Develop and oversee the execution of an annual alumni communications plan, which includes direct and electronic mail, Web and Social Media.
- Manage the Alumni Engagement staff to provide the guidance and support necessary for the success of the department, as well as professional and personal development of individual department members.
- Oversee the development and execution of alumni programming, special events and award ceremonies.
- Ensure network of volunteers is managed in a way that distinguishes their experience as both meaningful and exceptional.
- Work with Alumni Association President to lead Alumni Association Board of Directors in advancing the strategic priorities of Institutional Advancement and Canisius College.
- Oversee and be responsible for management of alumni and advancement events including but not limited to Regents Ball, Distinguished Alumni, Sports Hall of Fame, DiGamma induction, Women of Canisius networking events.
- Work collaboratively with all members of the Advancement Team to promote fundraising initiatives among alumni and friends, identify and cultivate prospective supporters of the college’s Canisius Fund and major gifts program.
- Work collaboratively with the Griff Center on corporate outreach programs that involve Canisius alumni in the workplace of major employers in the WNY region.
- Develop and manage the annual budget for the Office of Alumni Engagement.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree; Master’s preferred. Canisius College alumni are encouraged to apply.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of progressive experience in volunteer management, constituent services, non-profit program development and implementation, college admissions/enrollment management, college career services, and/or fundraising, including at least three years of significant managerial experience that includes skills in strategic planning, project management and budgeting.
- Knowledge of and strong commitment to Jesuit higher education and the college’s mission.
- Ability to work effectively with administrators, faculty, staff, alumni, parents, volunteers and friends of the college.
- Exceptional interpersonal, verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
- Proven ability to work successfully both independently and in partnership with a wide array of internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and work collaboratively to create, support and allocate resources to advance priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize a variety of marketing channels, i.e. print, social networking, etc., to engage constituents effectively.
- Positive attitude with creative mindset and take charge initiative.
- Supervise three full time staff and graduate assistants.
- Travel, weekend and evening hours as necessary for alumni activities.
- A valid driver’s license is required.
- Must be proficient in the use of Microsoft Office and social media.
The Office of Human Resources at Canisius College utilizes an online recruitment management system.
Individuals who need reasonable accommodations under the ADA in order to participate in the search process should contact the office of human resources at (716) 888-2240.
To apply, go to https://www.canisius.edu/about-canisius/employment-canisius. Review of applications will begin October 5th and continue until the position is filled. Please include your cover letter, resume and the names and contact information for three references with your application.
Canisius College, a Catholic and Jesuit University, has as its foundation the fundamental values of academic excellence, leadership, faith and social justice. Canisius is committed to educating and preparing men and women to become leaders in their professions and their communities, and in service to humanity. The college is an equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting, supporting, and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students.
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a full-time, 12-month position. Benefits are available the first of the month after the full-time employee’s date of hire and include – health, dental and vision insurance, life and long term disability insurance, and retirement plan enrollment is available to full-time employees with contribution from College after one year. Tuition benefits are also available for full-time employees and their qualified dependents.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend