Customer Service Specialist
Student Record & Financial Services Center
Student Records and Financial Service (SRFS) is grounded in service excellence and student retention and is supportive of students’ educational goals and consistent with institutional policies and priorities. The SRFS has both virtual and physical components and provides student-service functions encompassing Financial Aid, Student Financial Accounts (Bursar/Cashier), Parking, Meal Plans, and Registration & Records (Registrar). This position reports to the Student Accounts Supervisor.
The Customer Services Specialist is responsible for the day-to-day activities and ensuring a culture of service excellence in walk-in, phone, and virtual environments. The Customer Services Specialist will be trained to assist all students/parents/College community with academic records, financial aid, billing and payments, parking and registration-related transactions.
- Ensure all actions align with the College vision, mission, goals, and strategic plans.
- Provide superior customer service.
- Provide students with information, facilitate transactions, and provide satisfactory problem resolution in a timely manner in regards to registration, financial aid, student academic records, student financial account information, parking, meal plans, and other student-support resources.
- Understand and adhere to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) when dealing with students and their parents. Must understand and follow strict federal, state, and institutional rules and regulations.
- Maintain the security and integrity of the student information maintained by this office.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Assist students with information/transactions related to the following:
Student Academic Records
- Create, maintain, and explain academic records, including:
- Provide information about self-service transcript and enrollment verification requests.
- Guide students through the on-line registration system.
- Assist students with self-service Ellucian.
- Troubleshoot registration errors, system issues, and inquiries concerning registration.
- Inform and direct students to resources such as the use of GriffAudit.
- Explain academic rules and policies. Provide options and alternatives as appropriate.
- Explain holds placed on student accounts and provide assistance in removing those holds.
- Advise students on Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) regulations.
Student Financial Accounts
- Complete student financial transactions, including:
- Assist students with various questions regarding their accounts, including, but not limited to: payments, holds, financial accounts, and refunds.
- Provide detailed information and resolve issues related to financial accounts, charges, payments, etc.
- Guide students, parents, and others through an on-line payment process.
- Process in-person student account payments.
- Monitor semester payment plan accounts.
- Distribute student refund checks.
- Open, balance, and close cashiering sessions.
- Provide general financial aid information in accordance with all applicable laws, regulations, and policies, including the following:
- Serve as the main point of contact for students with general financial aid questions.
- Explain federal, state, and institutional financial aid regulations, procedures, deadlines, and processes.
- Direct students in completing financial aid forms, assessing choices between types of loans, and verification and special circumstances materials.
- Collect scholarship paperwork from students.
- Provide parking-related services, including the following:
- Provide information on parking options, processes, regulations, and policies.
- Issue and accept payment for parking permits.
- Serve as a student-service resource for general College information including, but not limited, to the following:
- Provide appropriate referrals for campus resources.
- Provide general information on housing and meal plans.
- Process and respond to assigned mail and e-mail.
- Serve as a resource for physical location inquiries.
- Assist students with accessing e-mail, D2L, and other student information systems.
- Assist students with navigating and accessing information on the College website.
- At least 2 years’ experience of customer service and/or administrative support work experience; financial aid, student accounts and/or student records work experience preferred.
- Professional demeanor and ability to work effectively with various constituencies including prospective students, current students, their families, public, faculty, administrators.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills: ability to work well within a team environment and independently.
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, knowledge and experience with the Canisius College Ellucian and TouchNet System is preferred.
- Excellent data entry skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to manage multiple activities.
The work schedule is Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 5:00pm, some evening and weekend hours are required.
The Office of Human Resources at Canisius College utilizes an online recruitment management system.
Individuals who need reasonable accommodations under the ADA in order to participate in the search process should contact the office of human resources at (716) 888-2240.
To apply, go to https://www.canisius.edu/about-canisius/employment-canisius. Review of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Please include your cover letter and resume with your application.
Canisius College, a Catholic and Jesuit University, has as its foundation the fundamental values of academic excellence, leadership, faith and social justice. Canisius is committed to educating and preparing men and women to become leaders in their professions and their communities, and in service to humanity. The college is an equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting, supporting, and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students.
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a full-time, 12-month hourly position. Benefits are available the first of the month after the full-time employee’s date of hire and include – health, dental and vision insurance, life and long term disability insurance, and retirement plan enrollment is available to full-time employees with contribution from College after one year. Paid holidays, vacation, personal leave and sick leave. Tuition benefits are also available for full-time employees and their qualified dependents.