Safety Coordinator for Facilities Management
Job no: 494950
Work type: Part-time Staff
Categories: Maintenance/Skilled Trades
Canisius College is accepting applications for a part-time Safety Coordinator. The Safety Coordinator directs, develops and oversees the general health and safety policies and procedures of the organization. Ensures the workplace is in compliance with OSHA and other state, local, or industry specific regulations and that periodic safety audits are conducted. Being a Safety Coordinator provides programs that ensure a safe workplace including safety orientations, skills training, emergency preparedness, proper job instruction, hazardous material disposal procedures, and the use of protective equipment. Develops a systemic process to collect data, analyze the causes of accidents, and generate required reporting. Additionally, Safety Coordinator implements initiatives to reduce and prevent accidents, occupational illnesses, and exposure to long-term health hazards.
Facilities Management is a service department dedicated to support the College's Mission and its constituents by maintaining the facilities that are essential to the overall residential and educational environment within the framework of the Jesuit identity and ideals. These services include operation, maintenance, management, environmental health and safety. Facilities Management strives to plan, design, construct, operate and maintain facilities and grounds in a safe, efficient and fiscally responsible manner that is conducive to academic excellence serving all within our community. This is a full-time position reporting to the Director of Facilities Management.
Safety Coordinator Responsibilities:
- Develop, implement and manage programs related to workplace safety.
- Work with administrators, faculty, staff and students to identify and rectify unsafe workplace conditions.
- Serve as the lead contact for workplace safety related issues.
- Monitor trends in workplace safety practices.
- Establish relationships with internal and external resources to maintain workplace safety practices that are in compliance with state and federal regulations and college policies and procedures.
- Review, evaluate and analyze workplace environments and implement strategies to avoid/prevent injury.
- Work across departments to confirm that hazardous materials and waste are being handled properly and that records are being updated/maintained.
- Coordinate safety training and education programs for existing staff and new employees.
- Oversee the investigation, reporting and analysis of workplace accidents and complaints.
- Manage requirements for internal and external reporting on workplace safety related issues.
- Direct campus Safety Planning Meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated time management and organizational skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to follow instructions and express ideas effectively and concisely.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well in a team environment as well as independently.
- Ability to stay current with industry best practices and technologies.
- Ability to work weekend, evening and holiday hours as required.
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and the ability to learn additional programs, to include the Canisius College BANNER system and other programs.
- Commitment to the Jesuit mission and tradition of Canisius College.
- Bachelor’s degree in safety management or a related field is preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in safety management or similar field of practice. Minimum of 2 years supervisory experience preferred. Working knowledge of federal, state and local safety laws, particularly OSHA.
- Valid New York State Driver’s License with a good driving record is required per the College’s insurance provider.
- Experience working in higher education facilities management is preferred.
The Office of Human Resources at Canisius College utilizes an online recruitment management system.
Individuals who need reasonable accommodations under the ADA in order to participate in the search process should contact the Office of Human Resources at (716) 888-2240.
To apply, go to https://www.canisius.edu/about-canisius/employment-canisius. Review of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Please include your cover letter and resume with your application.
Canisius College, a Catholic and Jesuit University, has as its foundation the fundamental values of academic excellence, leadership, faith and social justice. Canisius is committed to educating and preparing men and women to become leaders in their professions and their communities, and in service to humanity. The college is an equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting, supporting, and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend