Administrative Specialist for Academic Talent Search
Job no: 494871
Work type: Full-time Staff
Categories: Clerical/Customer Service, Administrative/Professional
Academic Talent Search – A Federal TRiO Program
The Academic Talent Search Program is a federally funded TRiO program established under Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965. The Academic Talent Search Program assists students in grades six thru twelve succeed in secondary school, advance to post-secondary programs, and complete those programs. The Talent Search Program of Canisius College serves approximately 600 youth recruited from area schools and community service organizations. It provides educational, social and career support services, and co-curricular and cultural enrichment experiences that will heighten the possibility of participants enrolling in postsecondary institutions. A majority of eligible program participants are both low income and first generation potential college participants.
The Academic Talent Search administrative specialist will assist with the day-to-day operations and administrative support activities for the department. The incumbent will act as a point of contact for the department with both internal and external constituencies; assist and represent the Academic Talent Search office by handling multiple incoming issues and concerns as they arise; and manage special projects for the department as assigned.
This is a full-time position, regular work schedule is Monday through Friday, 8:30am through 5:00pm, except as determined by the workload.
- Support the day-to-day operations and perform administrative responsibilities for the Academic Talent Search department:
- Support ATS staff in the office and the field
- Perform general office duties: answer multiple phone lines, greet visitors, schedule appointments, photocopy, file, mail, order office supplies, oversee service of office equipment, and email communications.
- Prepare and maintain accurate student records.
- Track program expenditures. Prepare budget forecast. Verify all expenditures against business office records. Maintain receipts for all expenses.
- Assist with preparation of grant proposals.
- Manage finance actions, including direct pay requests and CentreSuite (department VISA transactions).
- Organize activities, meetings and workshops for the Talent Search Program.
- Manage counselor schedules
- Compile and maintain information needed for Annual Performance Report
- Submit report to the Department of Education
- Prepare and distribute annual report for schools, college administrators, and staff members
- Assist in the annual tracking of past participants through the National Student Clearing House
- Print contact reports from database for all program participants
- Identify students who have not participated in any activities for the year and keep detailed records
- Prepare mail merges, letter generation and other mailings
- Prepare and send communications about program information, upcoming events and deadlines to participants by email, website, Facebook Listserv, bulk mail outs, or other appropriate methods of communication
- Assist with developing and presenting program workshops
- Supervise work-study students and/or graduate assistants
- Perform other duties as assigned
- An associate’s degree is required; a bachelor’s degree is preferred
- A minimum of 3 to 5 years of administrative experience is required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple and diverse projects while meeting daily deadlines
- Experience working with diverse populations of students , parents, and or colleagues
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, especially Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and the ability to learn new programs/systems. Experience with Banner and other learning management software
- Experience, specifically with data management and manipulation in Excel
- Budget management experience
- The ability to work some evenings and weekends
- Demonstrated commitment to and sensitivity for addressing the needs of economically and educationally disadvantaged youth or experience, as a participant or employee, with Federal TRIO programs or other educational opportunity programs
- Experience developing or maintaining a Facebook page, other social media sources and digital newsletter
- Experience with of knowledge of financial aid and/or post-secondary admission/enrollment procedures
The Office of Human Resources at Canisius College utilizes an online recruitment management system.
Individuals who need reasonable accommodations under the ADA in order to participate in the search process should contact the office of human resources at (716) 888-2240.
To apply, go to https://www.canisius.edu/about-canisius/employment-canisius. Review of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Please include your cover letter and resume with your application.
Canisius College, a Catholic and Jesuit University, has as its foundation the fundamental values of academic excellence, leadership, faith and social justice. Canisius is committed to educating and preparing men and women to become leaders in their professions and their communities, and in service to humanity. The college is an equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting, supporting, and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students.
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a full-time, 12-month hourly position. Benefits are available the first of the month after the full-time employee’s date of hire and include – health, dental and vision insurance, life and long term disability insurance, and retirement plan enrollment is available to full-time employees with contribution from College after one year. Paid holidays, vacation, personal leave and sick leave. Tuition benefits are also available for full-time employees and their qualified dependents.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend