Experiential Learning Coordinator for the Department of Animal Behavior, Ecology, and Conservation
Job no: 494796
Work type: Full-time Staff
Experiential Learning Coordinator
Department of Animal Behavior, Ecology, and Conservation
The Experiential Learning Coordinator oversees the ordering, purchasing, storage, inventory, and care of all supplies and equipment needed for laboratory courses in the Department involving animals. This is a full-time, 12-month position reporting to the chair of the department, beginning June 1, 2021.
- Teach one class with laboratory each semester or two courses, typically in Animal Learning and Training;
- Supervise all undergraduate internships, including during the summer months. Oversight would involve scheduling, site coordination, communication with on-site supervisors, course oversight (grading assignments, journals, and final projects, one-on-one meetings). Internships are assigned courses. The goal for total internship enrollment supervised by the position is approximately 75 credit hours per semester (approximately 50 interns/year); this number may vary by semester and by year. Summer internships may count toward this total enrollment number.
- Work with Department faculty to order and purchase supplies and equipment for laboratory courses and research;
- Maintain an inventory of Department supplies;
- Ensure proper care of animals;
- Schedule use of the Animal Behavior laboratory.
- Prepare supplies, equipment, and animals for animal learning and training and other laboratory courses as needed;
- Interact with the consulting veterinarian on animal safety and ensure compliance with standards of care;
- Coordinate use of common equipment;
- Maintain a list of all expenses for supplies, equipment and animals;
- Gain proficiency in expense-related software (Banner and Centresuite);
- Serve as a liaison with Facilities Management for building maintenance/repair requests;
- Support expanding the applied animal behavior/animal training portion of the ABEC program;
- Assist with experiential learning planning. This would involve outreach to potential intern host sites locally and nationally to formalize relationships, and explore new opportunities for experiential learning.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Animal Behavior, Psychology, Biology, or an associated field, along with appropriate animal training certifications and experience; Master’s degree preferred;
- Field experience in animal care, training;
- Advanced computer skills (Microsoft Office, Google applications);
- Willingness to learn Banner and Centresuite and other necessary software;
- Strong organization skills;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, verbal and written, to interact effectively with college personnel and students, and especially community partners;
- Valid driver’s license.
The Office of Human Resources at Canisius College utilizes an online recruitment management system.
Individuals who need reasonable accommodations under the ADA in order to participate in the search process should contact the Office of Human Resources at (716) 888-2240.
To apply, go to https://www.canisius.edu/about-canisius/employment-canisius. Review of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Please include your cover letter and resume with your application. Applications will be accepted until January 1, 2021.
Canisius College, a Catholic and Jesuit University, has as its foundation the fundamental values of academic excellence, leadership, faith and social justice. Canisius is committed to educating and preparing men and women to become leaders in their professions and their communities, and in service to humanity. The college is an equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting, supporting, and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students.
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a full-time position. Benefits are available the first of the month after the full-time employee’s date of hire and include – health, dental and vision insurance, life and long term disability insurance, and retirement plan enrollment is available to full-time employees with contribution from College after one year. Paid holidays, vacation, personal leave and sick leave.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend