JOB IDENTIFICATION: Preventative Maintenance Mechanic
Performs prescribed preventative maintenance services on heating, ventilation and air conditioning machinery and component parts. Will work with Stationary Engineers and other trades to perform basic service on mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and other systems.
- Oil and grease machinery.
- Change filter media
- Adjust and/or replace belts, clean traps and strainers.
- Inspect machinery in operation to assure proper functioning, including pressures and temperatures.
- Perform minor repairs as needed.
- Prepare inventory of equipment and attach labels to record relevant data.
- Assist in setting up Preventative maintenance schedules and data cards.
- Complete summary of work performed.
- Clean equipment used and equipment room.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Work with College Electrician and College Plumber to perform basic service on electrical and plumbing systems.
- Work with College Stationary Engineers to perform basic maintenance on mechanical equipment and HVAC systems.
SUPERVISION GIVEN AND RECEIVED:
Under direct supervision of Facilities Operations Manager. Direction may be received from other Facilities Management Managers as well as Lead HVAC Mechanic and/or other HVAC Mechanics.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITY:
- Knowledge and experience in the operation of boilers, heat exchangers, air handlers, air conditioning systems, and related equipment.
- Knowledge of boiler codes and safety practices.
- Knowledge of plumbing and electrical systems.
- City of Buffalo 2nd Class Engineers License preferred, but not required
- Current HVAC/R EPA Certification preferred, but not required.
- Must be mechanically inclined in order to perform emergency repairs in several fields.
- Responsible for adhering to policies and practices on safety and operational instructions. Complies with rules, regulations, and applicable building codes.
- Must have valid New York State driver’s license with a positive driving record per the college’s insurance provider
RELATION TO OTHER JOBS:
May work with other trades and be asked to perform duties not related to their specific trade.
WORKING CONDITIONS :
May work in hot, dusty, noisy, confined areas, and hazardous locations. Works both inside and outside completing interior and exterior work assignments. Climbs ladders, stoops, kneels, and crouches.
- Must be able to climb, bend, stoop, crawl, kneel, and work in cramped areas.
- Must be able to withstand heat, cold, and dust.
- Must be able to lift and transport materials and equipment used in the trade.
SOME OVERTIME MAY BE REQUIRED, VACATION APPROVAL MAY NE LIMITED DURING PEAL ACTIVITY PERIODS.
The Office of Human Resources at Canisius College utilizes an online recruitment management system.
Individuals who need reasonable accommodations under the ADA in order to participate in the search process should contact the Office of Human Resources at (716) 888-2240.
To apply, go to https://www.canisius.edu/about-canisius/employment-canisius. Review of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Please include your cover letter and resume with your application.
Canisius College, a Catholic and Jesuit University, has as its foundation the fundamental values of academic excellence, leadership, faith and social justice. Canisius is committed to educating and preparing men and women to become leaders in their professions and their communities, and in service to humanity. The college is an equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting, supporting, and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students.
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a full-time, 12-month hourly position. Benefits are available and include – health, dental insurance and retirement plan enrollment is available to full-time employees with contribution from College. Paid holidays, vacation, personal leave and sick leave. Tuition benefits are also available for full-time employees and their qualified dependents.