Adjunct Professor for Physician Assistant Studies & Diagnostic Medicine Coordinator
Job no: 494781
Work type: Adjunct Faculty
Adjunct Professor-Physician Assistant Studies
Diagnostic Medicine Coordinator
Canisius College is in the process of developing a Physician Assistant Master’s degree program in pursuit of provisional accreditation. The Diagnostic Coordinator will play an integral role in development of the program curriculum, course design, laboratory design, and community outreach. This is an adjunct faculty position on a team of medical providers and educators working to complete the development of the program followed by regular teaching in the PA program. Faculty in this position will serve as the coordinator of instruction for the Diagnostic Medicine I and II courses.
This position reports directly to the Physician Assistant Program Director. Program adjuncts are bound by the Canisius College Adjunct Faculty Handbook (2017-2018) and the Program Faculty Handbook where applicable.
The primary responsibilities of the Diagnostic Medicine Coordinator are to manage and coordinate various aspects of didactic education to include:
- Coordinating horizontal and vertical instruction between Diagnostic Medicine, Clinical Medicine, and Clinical Skills courses
- Creating effective student assessment tools
- Clinical case development
- Clinical simulation coordination and facilitation
- Curriculum and syllabus development
- Assignments and grading, evaluation of courses
- Maintaining required documents for accreditation
- Instruction in the 1 credit hour Diagnostic Medicine courses in the Spring and Fall semesters only
- Providing course remediation and academic counseling as related
The Diagnostic Medicine Coordinator will also be required to participate in a variety of program service responsibilities including:
- Participating in committee appointments for program and college
- Performing community outreach on behalf of Canisius College and the program
- Organizing and participating in community service with students
- Participating in the process of selecting potential students for the program
- Contributing to the administration and evaluation of the program as assigned
- Other duties as assigned by the Program Director.
Faculty in this position will also be required to provide evidence of acceptable scholarly activity as appropriate based on adjunct status. This may vary based on faculty academic rank and professional track, but should include areas such as conducting and reporting on research, writing a teaching or laboratory manual used in this program, presenting scholarly work at a national meeting (note that simple attendance at such a meeting would not meet the criteria for acceptable scholarship), and involving graduate students in activities that develop research skills and lead to presentations and publications.
- Current New York State licensure as PA, MD, DO, or NP, and continued maintenance throughout duration of employment
- Graduate of an accredited medical program in professional field with terminal degree
- Faculty must maintain relevant board certification and current registration throughout duration of employment (NCCPA, specialty board certification, etc.)
- Minimum of 5 years of clinical experience required
- Minimum of 3 years as a faculty member in a PA program or comparable experience
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability; curriculum development, teaching, an administration
- Strong local ties to the medical community
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Dedication to the academic priorities of Canisius College and the PA program mission
- Previous experience with ARC-PA accreditation procedures and articulation processes
- Experience in activities that focus on assessment and student learning outcomes
The Office of Human Resources at Canisius College utilizes an online recruitment management system.
Individuals who need reasonable accommodations under the ADA in order to participate in the search process should contact the office of human resources at (716) 888-2240.
To apply, go to https://www.canisius.edu/about-canisius/employment-canisius. Review of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Please include your cover letter and resume with your application.
Canisius College, a Catholic and Jesuit university, has as its foundation the fundamental values of academic excellence, leadership, faith and social justice. Canisius is committed to educating and preparing men and women to become leaders in their professions and their communities, and in service to humanity. The college is an equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting, supporting, and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend