Public Safety Dispatcher
Job no: 494760
Work type: Part-time Staff
Categories: Public Safety
Public Safety Dispatcher
Canisius College is accepting applications for a part-time dispatcher. Public Safety Dispatchers perform a variety of duties involved in receiving, evaluating, prioritizing and relaying calls for emergency and non-emergency public safety assistance. Dispatch appropriate units and coordinates response of emergency personnel. Operates a variety of telecommunication and computer equipment and performs specialized clerical duties involved in the preparation, maintenance and release of information to law enforcement entities.
Dispatchers must speak clearly, think quickly, work under stressful situations, have ability to listen closely and take notes. Will be required to sit for long periods of time. Dispatchers will operate the Computer Aided Dispatch System (CAD), have the ability to follow instructions, operate a fire alarm system, radio base unit, and college ID card system. Dispatchers will interact with the students, college faculty and staff, the general public and other police agencies.
The Dispatcher for the Department of Public Safety is a part-time position – First Shift/Saturday and Sunday.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED, with one year of experience in radio communications or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Computer Proficiency - Use and knowledge of Microsoft Office and other programs to operate a computer in an effective and efficient manner. Possess the ability to learn additional computer programs.
- Understand chain of command and possess a professional demeanor with the ability to work effectively with various constituencies.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Requires completion of a dispatcher training course.
Review of applications begins immediately.
Canisius College, a Catholic and Jesuit university, has as its foundation the fundamental values of academic excellence, leadership, faith and social justice. Canisius is committed to educating and preparing men and women to become leaders in their professions and their communities, and in service to humanity. The college is an equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting, supporting, and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend