JOB IDENTIFICATION: HVAC Mechanic
Operates, maintains and inspects the mechanical equipment and accessories associated with heating, ventilating and air condition systems.
- Operates and maintains mechanical equipment, such as steam and hot water boilers, heat exchangers, air handlers, air conditioning equipment, generators, refrigeration equipment and associated electrical and plumbing systems, etc.
- Services all heat pumps, motors, fans and air ducts.
- Performs Preventive Maintenance on mechanical equipment.
- Performs daily mechanical room inspection.
- Test boilers, closed loop systems and cooling towers for proper chemical treatment and add chemical as necessary. Maintains log of same.
- Operates computerized facilities control system.
- Coordinates shift relief, discuss & document occurrences of previous shift; determine impact on current shift and any ongoing problems.
- Responsible for maintaining log entries.
- Performs emergency repairs as needed on all shifts.
- Assures that work orders are filled out completely and accurately.
- Other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISION GIVEN AND RECEIVED:
Under direct supervision of the Associate Director of Facilities Management. Direction may be received from other Facilities Management Managers as well as the Lead HVAC Mechanic.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITY:
- Knowledge and experience with the maintenance, troubleshooting and repair of air conditioning/refrigeration equipment, heat pumps, motors, air handling units, variable air volume units, steam and hot water boilers, heat exchangers, electrical and plumbing systems and all associated equipment & controls.
- Knowledge of boiler codes and safety practices.
- Knowledge of plumbing and electrical systems.
- Must have current City of Buffalo 1st Class Stationary Engineers License.
- Current HVAC/R EPA Certification preferred.
- Must be able to perform emergency repairs in associated trades.
- Responsible for adhering to policies and practices on safety and operational instructions. Complies with buildings codes.
- Must have and maintain a valid New York State driver’s license with a positive driving record per the college’s insurance provider.
RELATION TO OTHER JOBS:
May work with other trades and perform duties not related to their specific trade.
May work in hot, cold, dusty, noisy, confined areas and hazardous locations. Works both inside and outside completing interior and exterior work assignments. Works from ladders, lifts, stoops, kneels and crouches.
- Must be able to climb, bend, stoop, crawl, kneel and work in cramped areas.
- Must be able to withstand heat, cold and dust.
- Must be able to lift and transport materials and equipment used in the trade.
SOME OVERTIME MAY BE REQUIRED, VACATION APPROVAL MAY BE LIMITED DURING PEAK ACTIVITY PERIODS.
The Office of Human Resources at Canisius College utilizes an online recruitment management system.
Individuals who need reasonable accommodations under the ADA in order to participate in the search process should contact the Office of Human Resources at (716) 888-2240.
To apply, go to https://www.canisius.edu/about-canisius/employment-canisius. Review of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Please include your cover letter and resume with your application.
Canisius College, a Catholic and Jesuit University, has as its foundation the fundamental values of academic excellence, leadership, faith and social justice. Canisius is committed to educating and preparing men and women to become leaders in their professions and their communities, and in service to humanity. The college is an equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting, supporting, and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students.
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a full-time, 12-month hourly position. Benefits are available and include – health, dental insurance and retirement plan enrollment is available to full-time employees with contribution from College. Paid holidays, vacation, personal leave and sick leave. Tuition benefits are also available for full-time employees and their qualified dependents.