DIRECTOR OF THE NEW BUFFALO INSTITUTE
The director of the New Buffalo Institute (NBI) will be responsible for leading a new office dedicated to the active engagement and alignment of the college's research, service and educational programming in targeted areas, primarily on the East Side of Buffalo, where Canisius College is situated.
Rooted in the Jesuit ideal of faith that does justice, the NBI serves as a vehicle for reorganizing, refocusing and prioritizing the college's existing connections and activities in the community and developing new initiatives to better align our efforts with community needs and priorities. The NBI has staked-out five strategic areas of focus, each of which is relevant to the East Side of Buffalo including:
- Urban Education Initiatives (Buffalo Public Schools Northeast Zone)
- Immersion East Side
- New Americans in the City of Buffalo
- Hamlin Park
- Entrepreneurship and Economic Development
The director reports to the Vice President for Academic Affairs. The director will work closely with the President, the Senior Leadership Team, Associate Dean of the School of Education and Human Services, Director of Mission and Identity, and Center for Service-Learning and Campus Ministry teams on projects.
- Execute the strategy and facilitate collaborations within the college and in our local community in an effort to work in solidarity with partners on challenges and opportunities.
- Work with faculty, staff, students and alumni to help them understand the NBI’s areas of focus and assist them in directing their efforts in research, teaching, and service toward progress in these areas.
- With increasing focus and investment on the East Side of Buffalo as a result of Empire State Development’s East Side Corridor Economic Development Fund aimed at stimulating the economy of the region, revitalizing neighborhoods and improving the quality of life for residents, the director will explore opportunities to align the college’s outreach efforts with public and private partners on initiatives that advance mutually established goals.
- Refine and execute a comprehensive operating plan for the New Buffalo Institute at Canisius with measurable objectives and assessment mechanisms.
- Assist members of the university community to integrate their teaching, research, and service initiatives with the goals and priority areas of the New Buffalo Institute to maximize the institution’s impact in the East Side of Buffalo.
- As a representative of the College, cultivate relationships within the regional community, including the New York State-funded initiative on the East Side, the Buffalo Public School District and various non-profits and CDCs, to develop enhance and promote initiatives aligned with our mission and efforts and the community’s needs and priorities.
- Serve as a primary point of contact for internal and external constituents for NBI projects and initiatives.
- Collaborate with campus constituents, at all levels, to promote a coordinated approach to NBI activities at Canisius.
- Develop a communication plan and online presence for internal and external audiences and seek opportunities to promote Canisius as a community resource for expertise, service, and as a welcoming place for dialogue.
- Organize listening tours, events, lectures, and community forums to advance the goals of the NBI.
- Pursue funding opportunities to support and enhance the goals of the NBI.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong interpersonal skills and excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- A highly motivated individual who can think creatively and strategically about the mission of the New Buffalo Institute and design, coordinate and deliver appropriate initiatives in response.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively across divisions and departments within the university and to collaborate effectively with the regional community.
- Ability to encourage and empower others in the promotion of mission, both individually and collectively.
- Work effectively with diverse constituencies.
- Ability to plan effectively and deliver measurable results.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree preferred.
- Five to seven years of experience in an educational institution with experience in community and/or economic development issues
- Demonstrated record of accomplishment in building and sustaining relationships.
- Experience in community relations or communication.
- Ability and willingness to enthusiastically support the College’s Catholic, Jesuit mission, identity, tradition and spirit and its commitment to the moral and ethical development of all students.
- Successful experience in coordinating and directing service programs and public events.
The Office of Human Resources at Canisius College utilizes an online recruitment management system.
Individuals who need reasonable accommodations under the ADA in order to participate in the search process should contact the Office of Human Resources at (716) 888-2240.
To apply, go to https://www.canisius.edu/about-canisius/employment-canisius. Review of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Please include your cover letter and resume with your application.
Canisius College, a Catholic and Jesuit University, has as its foundation the fundamental values of academic excellence, leadership, faith and social justice. Canisius is committed to educating and preparing men and women to become leaders in their professions and their communities, and in service to humanity. The college is an equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting, supporting, and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students.
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a full-time position. Benefits are available the first of the month after the full-time employee’s date of hire and include – health, dental and vision insurance, life and long term disability insurance, and retirement plan enrollment is available to full-time employees with contribution from College after one year. Paid holidays, vacation, personal leave and sick leave. Tuition benefits are also available for full-time employees and their qualified dependents.