Accountant / Procurement Specialist
Job no: 494737
Work type: Full-time Staff
This is a full-time, exempt position reporting directly to the Controller. The Accountant /Procurement Specialist will provide management and administrative support to the accounts payable/purchasing area. The incumbent is responsible for invoice processing, check request auditing, vendor compliance, requisition/PO processing, G/L account reconciliation, procurement card program administration and fixed asset maintenance. The Accountant/Procurement Specialist ensures that accounting activities are carried out in accordance with established policies, procedures and generally accepted accounting procedures (GAAP).
- Supervise and coordinate the accounts payable/purchasing function to ensure quality output, timely payment of invoices, and compliance with policies and guidelines.
- Maintain and support all aspects of the Accounts Payable and Procurement functions from requisition creation to payment reconciliation and ensures the highest standard of customer service.
- Record, examine and analyze financial records, documents and/or reports. Responsible for supporting the monthly and fiscal year-end close processes, including journal entries, account reconciliations, and reviewing/reconciling general ledger accounts.
- To be the point of contact for all vendors regarding payment of invoices, disputes and credit invoices as well as duplicate payments.
- Provide vendor analysis and assist in the analysis and development of procurement strategies as needed.
- Administers the College Procurement Card Program, including new accounts setup, credit line adjustments and dispute resolution. Acts as point of contact for bank regarding college issued Visa cards.
- Reviews current business practices and procedures, recommending changes as needed.
- Audits financial transactions for accuracy and conformance with established standards and procedures.
- Perform detailed analysis of accounts; prepare reports documenting operational performance; ensure timely distribution of reports to Senior Management.
- Review departmental budgets and provide support to departments regarding budget activity, analysis and available balances.
- Ensure accurate processing of Capital acquisitions, including proper account coding and maintenance of the Fixed Asset ledger.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Associates degree in accounting.
- 3 to 5 years of relevant accounting and/or supervisory experience.
- Familiarity with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Ability to understand and apply current accounting guidelines, system updates and policy changes.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Knowledge of automated accounting systems, experience with Banner preferred.
- Professional demeanor and ability to work effectively with various constituencies.
- Ability to effectively multi-task and meet timelines.
- Strong organizational and communication skills –both written and oral.
- Ability to compare data from a variety of sources and check for accuracy.
- Customer-focused aptitude.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, including Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide mathematical figures accurately.
- Knowledge of higher education business practices.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting.
The Office of Human Resources at Canisius College utilizes an online recruitment management system. Individuals who need reasonable accommodations under the ADA in order to participate in the search process should contact the Office of Human Resources at (716) 888-2240.
To apply, go to https://www.canisius.edu/about-canisius/employment-canisius. Review of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Please include your cover letter and resume with your application.
Canisius College, a Catholic and Jesuit University, has as its foundation the fundamental values of academic excellence, leadership, faith and social justice. Canisius is committed to educating and preparing men and women to become leaders in their professions and their communities, and in service to humanity. The college is an equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting, supporting, and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students.
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a full-time position. Benefits are available the first of the month after the full-time employee’s date of hire and include – health, dental and vision insurance, life and long term disability insurance, and retirement plan enrollment is available to full-time employees with contribution from College after one year. Paid holidays, vacation, personal leave and sick leave. Tuition benefits are also available for full-time employees and their qualified dependents.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend