DIRECTOR OF SCHOOL AND COMMUNITY PARTNERSHIPS
School of Education and Human Services
The Director of School and Community Partnerships will cultivate and sustain school and community partnerships, oversee student teaching and field placements in teacher education programs within the School of Education and Human Services and contribute to broader community engagement initiatives aligned to the mission of Canisius College.
The Director will report to the Dean of the School of Education and Human Services. The Director will work closely with the Coordinator of Student Teaching, teacher education faculty, associate deans and the Director of the New Buffalo Institute at Canisius College.
The Director will also significantly contribute to the Center for Urban Education (CUE) of the School of Education and Human Services (SEHS) and the New Buffalo Institute (NBI) of Canisius College. Both the CUE and the NBI seek to facilitate collaborations within the college and in our local community in an effort to work in solidarity with partners on challenges and opportunities.
School and community partnership responsibilities
- Identify appropriate schools, agencies, and organizations to partner with the SEHS and offer appropriate, reciprocal opportunities for engagement and professional development.
- Represent in the community at select school/community based meetings and events, including participation with Buffalo Public Schools/Say Yes Community Schools.
- Assist members of Canisius community to integrate and coordinate teaching, research and service initiatives with the goals and priority areas of our partners, the CUE and the NBI to maximize the college’s impact in our community, prepare teacher candidates to be effective teachers in high needs schools, and improve engagement in the East Side of Buffalo.
- Pursue funding opportunities to support and enhance partnership work.
Teacher Education field experience and student teaching responsibilities
- Serve as a catalyst in the development, organization, supervision and oversight of field experiences for teacher candidates, mentor teachers and college supervisors.
- Work with the Student Teaching Coordinator to secure appropriate field placements.
- Coordinate with accreditation committees, faculty, and educational partners to integrate partnership activities and accreditation standards into a seamless learning experience for teacher candidates.
- Design and offer appropriate educational opportunities for mentor teachers and college supervisors to insure familiarity with Canisius expectations, NYSED and accreditation requirements.
- Ensure the generation of complete and accurate assessment data to demonstrate achievement of student (P-12) and candidate learning in field experiences.
- Coordinate student teaching seminars, supervisor and mentor trainings and annual meetings of a Student Teaching Advisory and Partnership Council.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong interpersonal skills and excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with diverse constituencies.
- Knowledge and clear understanding of the mission and identity of Canisius College.
- Teacher certification preferred (but not required).
- Minimum of master’s degree in education or related field.
- Five years of relevant mentoring, administrative and/or teacher educator experience.
- Demonstrated experience working with teachers/students in high needs schools.
The Office of Human Resources at Canisius College utilizes an online recruitment management system.
Individuals who need reasonable accommodations under the ADA in order to participate in the search process should contact the Office of Human Resources at (716) 888-2240.
To apply, go to https://www.canisius.edu/about-canisius/employment-canisius. Review of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Please include your cover letter and resume with your application.
Canisius College, a Catholic and Jesuit University, has as its foundation the fundamental values of academic excellence, leadership, faith and social justice. Canisius is committed to educating and preparing men and women to become leaders in their professions and their communities, and in service to humanity. The college is an equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting, supporting, and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students.
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a full-time position. Benefits are available the first of the month after the full-time employee’s date of hire and include – health, dental and vision insurance, life and long term disability insurance, and retirement plan enrollment is available to full-time employees with contribution from College after one year. Paid holidays, vacation, personal leave and sick leave. Tuition benefits are also available for full-time employees and their qualified dependents.