Academic Skills Coordinator
Job no: 494711
Work type: Full-time Staff
Coordinator of Academic Support Services
Higher Educational Opportunity Program
This full-time, 12-month position reports directly to the Associate Dean/Director of the Arthur O. Eve Higher Education Opportunity Program. HEOP, a partnership between the State of New York and Canisius College, provides economically and educationally disadvantaged residents the possibility of a college education. The successful candidate will work collaboratively with the staff to provide HEOP students the needed academic support, financial assistance, encouragement, and other services to complete the baccalaureate degree.
- Oversee all academic components of the HEOP; assist with planning of summer program
- Provide academic, career, and personal advisement to all HEOP students.
- Monitor the academic progress of HEOP students.
- Serve as academic advisor for HEOP freshman and students on academic probation.
- Develop remediation plans for students on academic probation
- Responsible for maintenance of Academic Review Committee for students on probation, records, and reports
- Coordinate and supervise tutoring services; Oversee and manage tutoring budget
- Maintain complete records in COPE office and iAdvise for all students.
- Create and implement academic workshops.
- Teach Master Student and Freshmen Seminar courses in the summer program and fall semester with a focus on academic skill building and college preparation.
- Review academic components of admissions applications to ensure eligibility and make appropriate recommendations
- Serve as the liaison to the Griff Center, faculty, and academic deans as it pertains to HEOP student academic progress
- Manage student of concern status reports and communicate updates to COPE staff
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in counselor education, college student personnel administration or related field required.
- 2 years of teaching and/or tutoring.
- Minimum of 2 years work experience with college students from diverse backgrounds.
- Basic understanding of how to read and interpret applicants’ folders for academic and financial credentials toward HEOP admissions.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail and follow through.
- Ability to work effectively and cooperatively within a team and independently.
- Ability to work under deadline pressure and manage multiple activities.
- Advanced computer proficiency and the ability to learn additional programs, including the Canisius College BANNER system.
- Professional demeanor and ability to work effectively with various constituencies including: students, faculty, administrators, and the general public.
The Office of Human Resources at Canisius College utilizes an online recruitment management system. Individuals who need reasonable accommodations under the ADA in order to participate in the search process should contact the Office of Human Resources at (716) 888-2240.
To apply, go to https://www.canisius.edu/about-canisius/employment-canisius. Review of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Please include your cover letter and resume with your application.
Canisius College, a Catholic and Jesuit University, has as its foundation the fundamental values of academic excellence, leadership, faith and social justice. Canisius is committed to educating and preparing men and women to become leaders in their professions and their communities, and in service to humanity. The college is an equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting, supporting, and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students.
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a full-time position. Benefits are available the first of the month after the full-time employee’s date of hire and include – health, dental and vision insurance, life and long term disability insurance, and retirement plan enrollment is available to full-time employees with contribution from College after one year. Paid holidays, vacation, personal leave and sick leave. Tuition benefits are also available for full-time employees and their qualified dependents.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend