JOB IDENTIFICATION: Grounds Person
Works inside and outside, under direction of Grounds Foreman and supervisors to perform all buildings and grounds care. Hours of work may vary.
- Includes care of all building and grounds, such as turf care, gardening, planting, athletic layout and snow removal.
- Must be able to operate all related equipment.
- Must be able to perform routine service on all related equipment.
- May be called upon to assist general workers.
- Conforms to all safety regulations pertaining to equipment, procedures and products.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISION GIVEN AND RECEIVED:
Grounds persons are directed by Grounds Foreman, and/or supervised by the Building Services Manager and other Facilities Management Managers in the absence of the Building Services Manager.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of building and grounds maintenance and cleaning procedures.
- Must have and maintain a valid New York State driver’s license with a positive driving record per the college’s insurance provider.
- Experience in Turf Management
- Experience operating grounds equipment.
- Mechanical knowledge of grounds equipment.
- Pesticide & Herbicide Applicators License is required.
RELATIONSHIP TO OTHER JOBS:
May work with other trades.
May work in areas that are hot, cold, dusty, noisy and of limited space. Works both inside and outside in varying degree of weather completing work assignments, climbs ladders, stoops, kneels, lifting and crouches.
- Must be able to bend, crawl, lifting and kneeling.
- Must be able to work from ladders, scaffolding and other heights.
- Must be able to lift and transport materials and equipment used in trade.
SOME OVERTIME MAY BE REQUIRED. VACATION APPROVAL MAY BE LIMITED DURING PEAK ACTIVITY PERIODS.
The Office of Human Resources at Canisius College utilizes an online recruitment management system.
Individuals who need reasonable accommodations under the ADA in order to participate in the search process should contact the Office of Human Resources at (716) 888-2240.
To apply, go to https://www.canisius.edu/about-canisius/employment-canisius. Review of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Please include your cover letter and resume with your application.
Canisius College, a Catholic and Jesuit University, has as its foundation the fundamental values of academic excellence, leadership, faith and social justice. Canisius is committed to educating and preparing men and women to become leaders in their professions and their communities, and in service to humanity. The college is an equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting, supporting, and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students.
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a full-time, 12-month hourly position. Benefits are available and include – health, dental insurance and retirement plan enrollment is available to full-time employees with contribution from College. Paid holidays, vacation, personal leave and sick leave. Tuition benefits are also available for full-time employees and their qualified dependents.