Facilities Operations Manager/Safety Coordinator
Job no: 494767
Work type: Full-time Staff
Categories: Administrative/Professional, Maintenance/Skilled Trades
Facilities Operations Manager/Safety Coordinator
Canisius College is accepting applications for a Facilities Operations Manager/Safety Coordinator. This position coordinates projects including, but not limited to, new construction, renovation/alteration of existing spaces, restacking/relocation of departments/occupants, maintenance of existing building and campus infrastructure and other Facilities related assignments. The Facilities Operations Manager/Safety Coordinator will support college operations by working with the various college constituencies to plan and execute daily work and projects in line with the strategic plan of the college.
Facilities Management is a service department dedicated to support the College's Mission and its constituents by maintaining the facilities that are essential to the overall residential and educational environment within the framework of the Jesuit identity and ideals. These services include operation, maintenance, management, environmental health and safety. Facilities Management strives to plan, design, construct, operate and maintain facilities and grounds in a safe, efficient and fiscally responsible manner that is conducive to academic excellence serving all within our community. This is a full-time position reporting to the Director of Facilities Management.
- Prepares, justifies, monitors, and controls the annual operating budget for their area of responsibility. Responsible for monitoring usage and appropriately addressing abnormalities.
- Support the Director of Facilities on the preparation and implementation of the annual capital project program.
- Manage the maintenance/troubleshooting/repair of building components associated with but not limited to: roofing/masonry/carpentry/painting/flooring/windows/doors/locks/keying system.
- Oversee and supervise team of maintenance technicians.
- Conduct annual performance evaluations.
- Administer disciplinary actions as necessary.
- Manage campus projects, working with various college constituencies.
- Procure goods and services in accordance with established policies.
- Manage vendor contracted services.
- Ensure that work in compliance with specifications, applicable safety regulation, building codes and college standards.
- Support the Facilities Planning Workgroup, investigating Facilities Project Requests and implementing workgroup decisions.
- Manage campus safety issues to ensure compliance with applicable regulations, building/fire codes and NYS inspections.
- Respond to emergency calls during business and non-business hours and direct corrective action to be taken.
- Participate in the week-end coverage rotation schedule.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Director of Facilities.
Safety Coordinator Responsibilities:
- Develop, implement and manage programs related to workplace safety.
- Work with administrators, faculty, staff and students to identify and rectify unsafe workplace conditions.
- Serve as the lead contact for workplace safety related issues.
- Monitor trends in workplace safety practices.
- Establish relationships with internal and external resources to maintain workplace safety practices that are in compliance with state and federal regulations and college policies and procedures.
- Review, evaluate and analyze workplace environments and implement strategies to avoid/prevent injury.
- Work across departments to confirm that hazardous materials and waste are being handled properly and that records are being updated/maintained.
- Coordinate safety training and education programs for existing staff and new employees.
- Oversee the investigation, reporting and analysis of workplace accidents and complaints.
- Manage requirements for internal and external reporting on workplace safety related issues.
- Direct campus Safety Planning Meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated project management, time management and organizational skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to follow instructions and express ideas effectively and concisely.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well in a team environment as well as independently.
- Ability to stay current with industry best practices and technologies.
- Ability to read and understand construction drawings.
- Ability to work weekend, evening and holiday hours as required.
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and the ability to learn additional programs, to include the Canisius College BANNER system and other programs.
- Commitment to the Jesuit mission and tradition of Canisius College.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, construction, facilities management or related field is preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years supervisory experience in construction project management, building maintenance or related field.
- Experience supervising personnel in a union environment is preferred.
- Valid New York State Driver’s License with a good driving record is required per the College’s insurance provider.
- Experience working in higher education facilities management is preferred.
The Office of Human Resources at Canisius College utilizes an online recruitment management system.
Individuals who need reasonable accommodations under the ADA in order to participate in the search process should contact the Office of Human Resources at (716) 888-2240.
To apply, go to https://www.canisius.edu/about-canisius/employment-canisius. Review of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Please include your cover letter and resume with your application.
Canisius College, a Catholic and Jesuit University, has as its foundation the fundamental values of academic excellence, leadership, faith and social justice. Canisius is committed to educating and preparing men and women to become leaders in their professions and their communities, and in service to humanity. The college is an equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting, supporting, and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students.
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a full-time position. Benefits are available the first of the month after the full-time employee’s date of hire and include – health, dental and vision insurance, life and long term disability insurance, and retirement plan enrollment is available to full-time employees with contribution from College after one year. Paid holidays, vacation, personal leave and sick leave.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend