Job no: 494661
Work type: Full-time Staff
Categories: Administrative/Professional, Finance/Business Support
The Payroll Manager is responsible for the production and timely delivery of payrolls. The Payroll Manager uses an understanding of the College’s in-house payroll system to accurately pay employees in compliance with federal and state laws and regulations, such as the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) rules and regulations and the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). The Payroll Manager assures proper tax treatment, accounting, and disposition of with-holdings, such as taxes, deductions for benefits, charitable contributions, and retirement contributions, other savings, etc. The Payroll Manager works closely with the Office of Human Resources, Facilities Management, Public Safety, and other departments throughout the College, as well as the Internal Revenue Service, Social Security Administration, and others receiving the proceeds from payroll deductions.
The Payroll Manager supervises full-time and/or part-time payroll staff. This is a full-time position reporting to the Controller.
- Ensures proper payment of wages and salaries by supervising the preparation of multiple bi-weekly payrolls, assuring that the in-house payroll system is correctly processing salaries and reported hours worked, correctly utilizing paid leave and holiday pay, correctly accruing compensatory time, and correctly computing overtime.
- Assures that the in-house payroll system is working as expected and in compliance with federal and state laws, rules, and regulations by establishing controls, monitoring results, and collaborating with Human Resources and Computer Services to modify and adapt programming, processing methods, and reporting in response to changes in regulations, withholding rates, reporting needs, etc.
- Generates records of each payroll showing each payee, hours worked for nonexempt employees), wages paid, associated with-holdings for retirement, benefits, and other contributions, and taxes withheld, supervises the maintenance of payroll records and accounts, and prepares journal entries related to payroll in a timely manner.
- Monitors control procedures related to the preparation and disbursement of direct deposits of payroll checks.
- Ensures the timely completion of all payroll tax reporting requirements and the issuance of W-2s.
- Responds to all payroll audit requests.
- Prepares periodic reports federal withholding, state withholding, unemployment compensation, and other related reports of expenditures and balances of various accounts by compiling, researching, and analyzing data regarding these program expenditures.
- Facilitates employee participation in various voluntary payroll deduction options by processing voluntary deduction forms, which includes verifying employee eligibility and checking the accuracy of completed forms; and by ensuring the authorized deductions are made from employee paychecks and disbursed to the proper agencies and/or companies designated by the employee.
- Develops a competent and efficient Payroll Office staff by supervising technicians, assigning and monitoring their tasks, and preparing employee performance evaluations.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as required by the Chief Financial Officer.
- A Bachelor's degree is required; a degree in a business-related field and/or twenty hours of coursework in Accounting is preferred.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible in-house payroll accounting management experience is required.
- Experience producing payrolls with in-house payroll systems is required.
- Supervisory experience is required.
- Payroll experience with a major employer with at least two-hundred fifty employees is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of accounting principles, payroll methods, Department of Labor regulations, federal and state tax regulations, and international tax requirements is required.
- Knowledge of application of union pay rules and/or working with interpretation of a union agreement.
- Skill in understanding and using in-house payroll processing systems is required.
- Proficiency with Excel and/or other spreadsheet and database applications is required.
- A record of inclusive conduct and evidence of multicultural skills in the workplace is preferred.
The Office of Human Resources at Canisius College utilizes an online recruitment management system.
Individuals who need reasonable accommodations under the ADA in order to participate in the search process should contact the Office of Human Resources at (716) 888-2240.
To apply, go to https://www.canisius.edu/about-canisius/employment-canisius. Review of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Please include your cover letter and resume with your application.
Canisius College, a Catholic and Jesuit University, has as its foundation the fundamental values of academic excellence, leadership, faith and social justice. Canisius is committed to educating and preparing men and women to become leaders in their professions and their communities, and in service to humanity. The college is an equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting, supporting, and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students.
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a full-time position. Benefits are available the first of the month after the full-time employee’s date of hire and include – health, dental and vision insurance, life and long term disability insurance, and retirement plan enrollment is available to full-time employees with contribution from College after one year. Paid holidays, vacation, personal leave and sick leave. Tuition benefits are also available for full-time employees and their qualified dependents.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend