Job no: 494618
Work type: Part-time Staff
Andrew L. Bouwhuis Library
The part-time Reference Librarian is a member of the ALB Library staff. Under the direction of the Public Services Supervisor the Reference Librarian is responsible for active participation in the development and provision of a full range of reference, research, instructional resources and user services offered by the library.
- Provide reference assistance to college students, faculty, staff, alumni and visiting patrons.
- Create, manage, assess and instruct patrons in the use of resources, tools, and services.
- Advocate for information literacy across campus and its application to teaching, learning, academic libraries, and higher education.
- Work with other librarians to provide reference and instruction services within identified courses, develop instructional materials, assess both instructor needs for support and student learning and establish best practices.
- Work with Public Services Supervisor to foster retention efforts through service to students.
- Coordinate resource-sharing initiatives including Interlibrary Loan, ConnectNY and AcademicSHARE/InfoPass.
- Supervise and train staff and student employees, oversee purchase on demand, liaison work with participating libraries, billing, revising and enforcing policies, and informing staff of related policies and procedures.
- Actively participate in the Library Liaison Program.
- Demonstrate a commitment to high level customer service; model excellent customer service for support staff and student employees.
- Interpret library policies and procedures for patrons while handling their questions or concerns in a professional and friendly manner.
- Exhibit a commitment to support the Canisius College and ALB Library mission, vision, goals, and objectives.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s in Library Science and at least 1 year of directly-related library work experience.
- Professional demeanor and ability to work effectively with various constituencies including: prospective students, current students, their families, general public, faculty, administrators.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills: ability to work well within a team environment and independently.
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft products and the ability to learn additional programs.
- Knowledge of Banner desired.
- Supervisory experience desired.
Position: This is a part-time position. The work schedule includes evening/night and weekend hours until 2:00 a.m. some nights. Approximately 20 hours per week.
The Office of Human Resources at Canisius College utilizes an online recruitment management system.
Individuals who need reasonable accommodations under the ADA in order to participate in the search process should contact the office of human resources at (716) 888-2240.
To apply, go to https://www.canisius.edu/about-canisius/employment-canisius. Review of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Please include your cover letter and resume with your application.
Canisius College, a Catholic and Jesuit University, has as its foundation the fundamental values of academic excellence, leadership, faith and social justice. Canisius is committed to educating and preparing men and women to become leaders in their professions and their communities, and in service to humanity. The college is an equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting, supporting, and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend