Certified Medical Assistant
Job no: 494573
Work type: Full-time Staff
Certified Medical Assistant
Student Health Center
The Certified Medial Assistant in Student Health is part of a dynamic health care team that works to provide a warm, welcoming efficient and high quality experience in Student Health. The individual will be cross trained in both the administrative duties of the front desk operations and the clinical duties associated with patient care. A strong knowledge of federal and state laws related to protected health information and the ability to maintain strict confidentiality is essential. The individual must be detailed oriented, demonstrate consistent accuracy and be able to perform duties with frequent interruptions. The Medical Assistant must be comfortable working in an environment with exposure to communicable and infectious disease, medical emergencies, uncontrolled situations and unpleasant sights, sounds and smells.
This is a full-time position (37.5 hours per week, year round). This position reports to the Director of the Student Health Center.
- Follow all department procedures for handling medical emergencies and urgent care needs.
- Answer multiple phone lines with a warm and welcoming greeting, properly route calls, greet students, parents, faculty, staff and visitors in Student Health in a warm and welcoming manner. Ensure a safe and comfortable experience.
- Ensure that all waiting room computers are in good working order, ready for student access each morning, cleaned and shut down at the end of each day.
- Keep the waiting room and reception area are clean, comfortable and safe.
- Handle all department financial functions using Banner financial systems, purchasing card and reconciliation of charges, recording and reconciling expenditures, preparing financial reports.
- Maintain the department calendar and director’s calendar to ensure that all staff has up-to-date schedules for department events, operations, programs etc. to ensure smooth department operations.
- Record pick up dates on department calendar and notifies appropriate staff to prepare for pick up as indicated.
- Prepare, transmit and monitor all insurance claims for reimbursement of services in Student Health.
- Serve as support for medical records compliance officer, receiving requests for records, reviewing authorization to ensure appropriate release of records, retrieving records and preparing them for review by medical records compliance officer. Ensure proper release and mailing of records after approval by compliance officer.
- Order supplies for office and clinic, maintaining an inventory of department supplies and equipment and expiration dates. Ensure expired medicines and supplies are pulled from stock. Communicate and coordinate with all vendors in Student Health.
- Review all health forms for compliance with PHL 2165 and 2167 and college physical examination requirement closely with attention to detail.
- Run reports, place/lift registration holds and registration cancellations to ensure compliance with PHL 2165 and 2167 and the College’s physical examination requirement for new students.
- Run reports for New York State Immunization Audits. Review and prepare immunization records prior to New York State Health Department Audit. Retrieve immunization records from NYSIIS and CIR.
- Code health requirement in Banner and scans records to Medicat.
- Ensure that all laboratory titers are reviewed and signed by director prior to data entry.
- Ensure that all files are locked and secured at the end of the day or when the office is closed for meetings etc.
- Verify, enter and update patient demographic information and insurance information into Medicat Demographics.
- Schedule, cancel, verify and check out patients using Medicat to optimize patient access to care. Ensure that appointment types are properly recorded.
- Create clinic schedule using Medicat annually and modify the schedules for clinic staff as needed.
- Maintain roster of current international students. Prepare paper files for international students for nursing staff review.
- Maintain roster of new D1 athletes and ensures that all authorization for release of protected information are scanned to Medicat.
- Prepare patient charts for medical providers. This includes obtaining labs, previously ordered test results, consult notes and medical records as indicated and as occurred in the interim of previous visits.
- Maintain patient records as required in the electronic medical record. Ensure that records are accurately added and/or updated as necessary and/or as directed by providers.
- Ensure that student information and emergency contact information is accurate and up to date in Medicat.
- Attend staff meetings, continuing education programs; participate in student orientation and other campus activities.
- Maintain a safe work environment. Respond to the safety and security needs of patients. Follows all safety, HIPPA, OSHA, and NYS Department of Health guidelines. Respond to fire practice and emergency drills as per policy.
- Maintain certification as a medical assistant.
- Perform the following administrative duties as assigned: pulling and filing patient charts, filing patient paperwork, phone calls to patient’s doctors for medical information, referral phone calls on patient’s behalf, answering phone and scheduling appointments, intake phone calls, reminder calls for appointments, making appointments for students with specialists.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Admit and accompany patient into the treatment room and prepare patients for office visits:
- Obtain and records vital signs (BP, height, weight, pulse ox, temperature
- Obtain basic medical history and reason for clinic visit from patient
- Prepare patient for the examination
- Assist physician with examination when requested
- Perform medication reconciliation as part of EMR or AWV (ACO) chart prep procedures, data enters new medications into electronic medical record as indicated or directed by providers.
- Confirm patient allergies and data-enters new allergies into the electronic medical record.
- Use safe patient management techniques to transfer patients onto the examination table or from surface to surface as appropriate, necessary or as directed by a provider.
- Collect laboratory samples for point of care testing. Runs point of care test on site, report results to the medical provider.
- Complete discharge procedures on all patients scheduled for assigned provider of the day, including ensuring that prescriptions, health education and orders provided to the patient as per the direction of the provider.
- Complete forms and updates EMR relating to medical issues as directed by providers.
- Ensure that workflows for patient transitioning to the treatment rooms is completed seamlessly and efficiently.
- Prepare exam rooms for patient care; stock paper and medical supplies; ensure that proper instruments and care kits are appropriately set up for procedures.
- Responsible for following all infection control policies and guidance regarding patient care, transport of contagious patients, proper employment of universal precautions, and sanitizing of examination rooms post-discharge of patient. Maintains infection control standards and practices safe disposal of products contaminated by body fluids or hazardous medical waste to provide a safe environment.
- Strict observances of confidentiality, strong decision making ability, accuracy and follow through.
- Professional, calm-caring demeanor to effectively communicate with both internal and external constituencies.
- The ability to function independently and cooperatively within a team and manage multiple activities and difficult situations.
- Associates Degree from an accredited Medical Assistant program – CMA (AAMA) is required.
- 1 to 2 years medical office experience required.
- Strong knowledge of medical terminology as it relates to medical visits, procedures, hospitalizations, urgent care events and transcriptions and CPT coding.
- Previous experience with electronic practice management system, electronic health record and patient portal.
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and the ability to learn additional programs.
- Strong word processing skills with ability to type complex documents, letters, and reports.
- Professional demeanor and strong verbal and written communication skills to effectively communicate with both internal and external constituencies.
- Strong interpersonal skills: ability to work well within a team environment and independently.
- CPR and First Aid Certification
The Office of Human Resources at Canisius College utilizes an online recruitment management system.
Individuals who need reasonable accommodations under the ADA in order to participate in the search process should contact the office of human resources at (716) 888-2240.
To apply, go to https://www.canisius.edu/about-canisius/employment-canisius. Review of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Please include your cover letter and resume with your application.
Canisius College, a Catholic and Jesuit University, has as its foundation the fundamental values of academic excellence, leadership, faith and social justice. Canisius is committed to educating and preparing men and women to become leaders in their professions and their communities, and in service to humanity. The college is an equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting, supporting, and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students.
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a full-time, 12-month hourly position. Benefits are available the first of the month after the full-time employee’s date of hire and include – health, dental and vision insurance, life and long term disability insurance, and retirement plan enrollment is available to full-time employees with contribution from College after one year. Paid holidays, vacation, personal leave and sick leave. Tuition benefits are also available for full-time employees and their qualified dependents.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend