Assistant Director of Financial Services/Financial Aid
Job no: 494558
Work type: Full-time Staff
Categories: Administrative/Professional, Financial Aid
Assistant Director of Financial Services/Financial Aid
Student Records and Financial Services Center
The Assistant Director of Financial Services/Financial Aid is primarily responsible for counseling students and parents/guardians on all aspects of the financial aid process and preparing financial aid packages for undergraduate and graduate students in accordance with federal, state and institutional guidelines. The incumbent works closely with Admissions on the recruitment and retention of students. The Assistant Director administers assigned federal, institutional, private and/or state financial aid program or programs and will utilize databases to extract and provide a variety of reports and information.
This is a full-time position, which reports to the Associate Director of Financial Services for Student Records and Financial Services.
- Counsel students and parents regarding financial plan/eligibility and ensure that all students (new, re-entry and continuing) are planned and aware of their financial obligations to the school as well as the appropriate financial resources available to them.
- Ensure that all financial assistance programs available in the school are in compliance with all applicable regulations. Research and develop additional financial aid resources.
- Manage all aspects of the Federal Direct and Private Student Loan Programs.
- Manage the Federal Common Origination and Disbursement (COD) System for Direct Loans and Pell.
- Manage the National Tuition Exchange (TE) and Jesuit FACHEX Programs.
- Administer financial aid programs.
- Prepare financial aid packages and re-evaluate student files as needed.
- Provide student/parent advisement.
- Provide superior customer service.
- Exercise professional judgement in altering a student’s Expected Family Contribution (EFC).
- Assist with Federal, State, and Institutional reports.
- Present financial aid workshops for prospective students & parents and make visits to area schools and career fairs to promote financial aid availability to students.
- Manage the Federal TEACH Grant.
- Oversee Transfer Monitoring Process.
- Complete Consortium Agreements.
- Act as the liaison to the Canisius ALANA Program.
- Responsible for maintaining the Financial Aid Policy and Procedures manual.
- Monitors and oversees all R2T4 (Return of Title IV) Aid processing.
- Monitors communications from the U.S. Department of Education, IFAP, NASFAA.
- Assists with analysis of data, annual reports.
- Ensure the financial aid process is administered with constant commitment to compliance with all institutional, conference and NCAA rules and regulations.
- Assist with the selection, training, supervision, and evaluation of office personnel.
- Understand and adhere to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA).
- Maintain the security and integrity of the student information maintained by this office.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree is required, Master’s degree a plus.
- A minimum of three years of experience in financial aid in a higher education environment is required.
- Experience working with a student/business information system and database is required.
- Proficient with Microsoft Suite and use information technology effectively, enhancing access to academic data in support of institutional planning and reporting, knowledge and experience with the Ellucian Banner System.
- Demonstrated success in implementing and improving administrative processes.
- Professional demeanor and ability to work effectively with various constituencies including potential/incoming students and their families, current students and their families, faculty, administrators, and the public.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required; ability to discuss aid/full pay concerns with students and/or their parent/guardian is a plus.
- Strong organizational and data entry skills and attention to detail are required.
- Ability to manage confidential, sensitive data and adapt to changing processes and policies are essential.
- Ability to manage multiple activities and meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of Banner financial aid and student account areas is a plus.
- Must be proficient in the use of data and analysis of data.
- Knowledge of federal regulations regarding Title IV and private loans and proven record of accomplishment on compliance is a plus.
The Office of Human Resources at Canisius College utilizes an online recruitment management system.
Individuals who need reasonable accommodations under the ADA in order to participate in the search process should contact the office of human resources at (716) 888-2240.
To apply, go to https://www.canisius.edu/about-canisius/employment-canisius. Review of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Please include your cover letter and resume with your application.
Canisius College, a Catholic and Jesuit University, has as its foundation the fundamental values of academic excellence, leadership, faith and social justice. Canisius is committed to educating and preparing men and women to become leaders in their professions and their communities, and in service to humanity. The college is an equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting, supporting, and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students.
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a full-time, 12-month position. Benefits are available the first of the month after the full-time employee’s date of hire and include – health, dental and vision insurance, life and long term disability insurance, and retirement plan enrollment is available to full-time employees with contribution from College after one year. Tuition benefits are also available for full-time employees and their qualified dependents.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend